PATERNOSTER LODGE 4783
HOME PAGE NEWS LOi ROYAL ARCH EVENTS CONTACT PAST MASTERS
FAMILY TIES GALLERY FAQ GUEST BOOK HISTORY CHARITY
THE HISTORY OF PATERNOSTER LODGE
The name of the Lodge and the design of the Jewel are taken from Paternoster Row, one of the most ancient and interesting thoroughfares in the City of London. The name Paternoster (our Father) dates its origin from pre-Reformation days, when it was the home and trading place of the makers of beads used in religious observances, some of which were known as “Paternosters”.
The ecclesiastical character of the Row has continued down to the present time, as it is still the headquarters of the publishers of books on religious subjects. In recent times, however, the Row has been invaded by other industries, notably the textile trade. Adjacent to the Row, until quite recent times, stood the hostelry known as the “Goose and Gridiron”, famous in Masonic circles. Here Sir Christopher Wren presided over the
St. Paul’s Lodge, to which he presented the mallet and trowel used in laying the foundation stone of St. Paul’s Cathedral.
A scanned copy of the original is below in thumbnail form, please click on the image to enlarge
The re-building which followed the war-time destruction has vastly
changed this area of the City of London but
St. Paul’s Cathedral and the historic names
associated with the area:
Amen Corner, Creed Lane and Paternoster Row – will continue to inspire
generations of Paternoster members.
W. Bro. CHAS. EXLEY, PAGP
Bro. J. PRITCHARD,
W. Bro. T.
W. Bro. W.J.
W. Bro. E.G.
W. Bro. M.R.
W. Bro. GEO. J.
Bro. C.A.E. TAYLOR
Bro. ROBERT STARKE
W. Bro. W.J.
W. Bro. H. CORKETT,
W. Bro. F. PRATT,
W. Bro. T.S. POOLE
Bro. J.F. WALTON
W. Bro. T.E.D.
Bro. A. BROWN
FIRST SENIOR WARDEN
FIRST JUNIOR WARDEN
FIRST DIRECTOR OF
FIRST Asst. DIRECTOR OF CEREMONIES
FIRST INNER GUARD
1925 - 2012
On the 2nd of September 1925, the Warrant of Constitution of the Paternoster Lodge No. 4783 was granted to seventeen happy Freemasons, our founders. Our sponsoring lodge was West Norwood Lodge No. 3598, founded in 1912. It is not difficult to imagine the impatience and the anticipation of our founders during the weeks leading up to the Consecration Ceremony at Freemason’s Hall, London, on 14th December 1925. From this beginning every member has expressed gratitude to our founders for their inspired choice of name, “PATERNOSTER” – the Fatherhood of God and the Brotherhood of Man.
Prior to the war, the Lodge held its meetings at a number of venues and was greatly indebted to W.Bro. Tommy Poole for the pleasing accommodation and dining arrangements he always made. Incidentally, dinner jacket or evening dress was the fashion at regular and installation meeting respectively.
It was during these early days that the Lodge of Instruction was formed and the tradition of Masters’ Lists, in support of our Masonic Charities, was established.
At the 11th meeting the members took the important decision to qualify as a
Hall Stone Lodge.
The prompt and faithful discharge of this considerable financial commitment
is manifest in the Jewel, which has been worn by every Master since it was officially presented to the Lodge in December 1929.
West Norwood Lodge also sponsored another Lodge; Thurlow Park Lodge 5476 was consecrated on the 4th July 1934 and the Lodge now meets in Redhill Surrey.
This is a sister Lodge to our own.
During its lifetime the Lodge has generously met the many claims on its charity. Donations have been given to many deserving causes and help given in time of need to members, to their widows or dependants. One of the brethren who was helped during the years of the “depression”, repaid every penny of the aid he had received and always included a donation to charity with his annual subscription until his death.
On the outbreak of war, September 1939, Grand Lodge ordered the suspension of all Masonic meetings. However, this was rescinded shortly afterwards but war conditions caused a break in the orderly sequence of meetings, then at the Leicester Corner Restaurant. Our home there was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 when the original Lodge Regalia was lost. The replacement jewels, worn today, were inscribed with the original markings.
The Lodge of Instruction property suffered a similar fate.
Temporary arrangements were made for subsequent wartime meetings to be held at Freemason’s Hall – usually on Saturdays at noon and followed by a “glass and a sandwich”. To date this has been our regular meeting place and members have been inspired by the privilege of meeting at the headquarters of English Freemasonry. To share this privilege with other brethren, the Lodge recorded with the Grand Secretary’s Department, a permanent invitation to overseas brethren, that when in
London, to attend one of our meetings. It has been our pleasure to welcome many such brethren from all parts of the world.
Year by year the Lodge has enjoyed a healthy flow of initiates which has kept successive Masters and officers very busy. Our ceremonies have been conducted with dignity and performed with sincere ritual. In turn, each Master has made his distinctive contribution to our Masonic understanding.
Lodge qualified as a Founding Lodge for the
In 1967 the members readily supported the Trust Fund set up to mark the
25th Anniversary of the Grand Lodge of England.
The Lodge made donations from our Benevolent Trust Fund to the four Masonic Charities on the occasion of the installation of HRH the Duke of Kent, GCMG, GCVO, A.D.C., as the Grand Master.
Becoming a Double Patron Lodge in 1970 when our name was also listed as Vice Patron for the Royal Masonic Institute for Boys, the Royal Masonic Institute for Girls and the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institute.
In our fiftieth year 1975, we became a Grand Patron. The following year in March 1976, our name was honoured to be Patron for the Royal Masonic Institute for Boys followed in 1979 as Patron of the Royal Masonic Institute for Girls and the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institute. The Boys and the Girls Institute was linked and in March 1993 our name was listed as Patron of the Masonic Trust for Girls and Boys, when we also supported the New Masonic Samaritan Fund to become a Patron. This has now linked all the Charities under the Grand Charity of which we support the Lodge Relief Chest allowing the Grand Charity to distribute to worthy causes as required.
To commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Paternoster Lodge the brethren presented the Lodge with a three drawer set of working tools for the continued explanation and guidance for the members.
The Lodge has been grateful for the recognition given to its members over the years for their services to masonry – five had been appointed to Grand Lodge up to our fiftieth year. Since Senior London Grand Rank was introduced in 1979 the Lodge has been privileged to have six of its members appointed. To date forty seven members have been appointed to London Grand Rank.
2006 the Lodge was a founder member of the Metropolitan Grand Lodge
In 2007 we received a bronze award from the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution
followed by a silver award in 2009
The Lodge became a Vice Patron to the CyberKnife appeal in January 2012
On the 22nd January 2016 Bro. Jack Robson became the youngest person, at the age of twenty five, to be made Master of the Lodge
Lodge has been well served by twelve Treasurers and nine Secretaries:
W.Bro. W.J. Hepden P.G.St.B; W.Bro. G.J. Richman P.A.G.St.B.;
W.Bro. G.E. Richman P.A.G.St.B, W.Bro. J.W. Watson LGR.
Bro. C. Bomkin, W.Bro. D.J. Richman, Bro. N. Weston,
W.Bro. S.E. Brown P.P.A.G.Reg. (W.Kent & Worc.) MetGL Tyler, SLGR,
W.Bro. R. Green LGR, W.Bro. J. Anderson, W.Bro. A. Robson LGR and W.Bro Russell Morgan
W.Bro. E.G.Knowles P.G.St.B; W.Bro. N.L.Smith LGR.
W.Bro. G.E.Richman P.A.G.St.B; W.Bro. P.S.Poole LGR.
W.Bro D.Cattell LGR , W.Bro. K.Coote LGR ,
W.Bro. H.W.J.Sargant LGR, W. Bro M. Fahy LGR & W.Bro. P. Davies LGR
“May we enjoy every satisfaction and delight which disinterested friendship can afford. May we, our children and our grandchildren celebrate joy and rejoicing the transactions of Paternoster Lodge”.
2025 will mark the Centenary of Paternoster Lodge which all of the Members
hope to celebrate with excellence
Back to Top
Copyright © 1999 by [Michael Nash]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 18 Dec 2016 17:37:35 -0000 .